I Still Trust You, Mae [Draft]

The show was so-so. It's true few things impress me these days but when they called me to meet at this secretive aquaria, I did expect to find something impressive. What I see in here is something that I have expected though. The pelagic fishes eat the seahorses in under a minute and then their turn to be savoured by the big-big sharks. I forgot what sharks they are called. I don't really want to know though because actually you are the biggest reason I agreed to come.

We met a few months ago at the party. We did have some moments in your work station, but I know that did not leave any impression for both of us. I just asked a few questions and you only got to know my name. The party is a different occasion though. There we know our favourite drinks. Drinks I hide from other circlers so that I can have them all night throughout the party. You were looking for the same thing so I decided to share my treasure with you, something that I know I wouldn't do to most people.

From that moment, we met only for a few times though. A few long meeting where we did have memorable moments. Since then I knew that you are my biggest gamble at this, at stopping the completion. Stopping us from a privacy apocalypse. Where public and private domain have no boundaries anymore. Where more people will know more about you than you would ever know. Where 'everything' we have done will be recorded and that recording can be accessed by 'everybody'. Something that every people in their right mind should try to stop.

After the meeting, we got to have a few minutes for ourselves. A few minutes where I know that nobody listen. I told you my plan and I am reading good response form your facial expression. I believed you can deliver the messages, the words that can spark a revolution. A word that stop this madness called "completion". I know you would help me right my wrongs. Because even though I created this company, I never expected them to be the reason of the biggest privacy violation in human history, something that might be the beginning of our 'extinction'.

I was speechless when I realised that I was wrong. They stripped me from the position, making me like the symbolic monarchs in 21st century. However I still trust you, Mae. I still trust you to make the right call in the future. Hopefully it was not too late then.

Never thought I would ever say this.

Love you, Mae.

Your Kalden.







Inspired by David Eggers' novel "The Circle".

Popular Posts